Computer vision on an FRC robot has some problems.
- RoboRIO is not powerfull enough
- NetworkTables is not fast enough
- A TCP connection is great until you lose connection
- mDNS discovery is not reliable on the field
- UDP can skip frames
These are the things I need to have.
- Send data from any device
- Recive data on RoboRIO at any time
- Data rate faster than period time
These are the things I would like to have.
- Easy discovery
- Simple interface for new programmers
- Fallback in case of UDP issues
- FMS network firewall compliant
I am currently working on a protocol for solving this problem, nad will post an update here once it has been tested. Feel free to let me know your thoughts and ideas.